Create a Rocking Diya for Diwali Celebrate the Hindu festival of Diwali (Festival of Lights) this year with this fun Rocking Diya crafts project for…
Elephant Umbrella – Diwali Crafts
Celebrate Diwali with this colourful elephant based on a traditional Indian umbrella decoration, fun for all the kids! Read the simple instructions below to get started:
Art materials you will need:
- A paper bowl
- A brush
- Coloured card
- Patterned paper
- Sticky tape
- 2 x wobbly eyes
- Felt pens
- Thin ribbon or wool
Instructions for your Elephant Umbrella:
- Paint a cardboard bowl on the inside and outside then leave it to dry.
- Cut out 2 matching elephants. Glue them together with a piece of ribbon taped between the 2 shapes. Add cut out ears.
- Decorate the elephant on both sides with patterned paper, ribbon and felt pen designs. Glue a wobbly eye on both sides.
- Carefully make 3 equally spaced small holes in the top of the cardboard bowl. Thread 3 x 50cm pieces of ribbon or wool through the holes with knots to hold them in place.
- Make 4 equally spaced holes around the rim of the bowl. Thread short pieces of ribbon threaded with beads through the holes.
- Tape the elephant to the underside of the bowl in the middle.
Hints and Tips: Once you’ve made your umbrella decoration, check the balance by holding the 3 ribbons together above the bowl. Pull the ribbons individually to level the bowl then tie a knot to keep them in place. Decorate the top of the bowl with sparkly sequins or glitter.
This great project has been designed by Charlotte Stowell and supplied by Creative Steps. Each issue of Creative Steps Magazine contains dozens of inspiring ideas and fun crafts to help you encourage learning through creative play. Ideal for everyone caring for young children. Get an exclusive 33% discount on an annual subscription with Creative Steps by using promo code EYRXT33 at: https://creativesteps.imbmsubscriptions.com/eyrxt33/.