Get your taste buds watering this Pancake Day with this colourful and fruity allergy-friendly pancake recipe by ‘Pure Family Food’. The kids are sure to…
Easy Allergy-Friendly Pancake Recipe
Pancake Day is fast approaching – which means tasty and messy fun for the kids! But if a child is intolerant to the traditional key pancake mix ingredients, then it can be a bit of a challenge.
Don’t let any of the kids feel left out this year! Make sure all children are involved this Shrove Tuesday with this delicious and healthy free-from pancake recipe by ‘Pure Family Food’, who specialise in creating tasty recipes for those with food allergies or restrictive diets.
This deliciously healthy and wholesome pancake recipe is gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free – so everyone can join in this Pancake Day. You can even freeze and reheat these pancakes in the toaster or microwave if you want to supply primary schools or nurseries with a little pancake goodie bag.
Ready to show off your pancake-flipping skills yet? Cook up a yummy pancake feast and create the perfect mini American-style stack – then let the kids decorate it for some more fun!
So how do you make it? Just follow this simple and easy pancake recipe.
Basic Free-From Pancake Recipe:
Serves: 10 pancakes (approx.)
Prep Time: 7 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes
Course: Breakfast, Dessert, Snack
Cuisine: Dairy Free, Egg Free, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Soya Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 1 tbsp – ground flax seed (or you can use 1 egg)
- 3 tbsp – water (leave this out if you are using an egg)
- 160ml – dairy-free milk (such as koko milk – rice milk gives a similar result)
- 150g – gluten-free self-raising flour (such as rice flour)
- 1 tsp – coconut oil
- Mix the ground flax seed with the water and leave for 5 minutes. (If you are using an egg instead of the flaxseed, lightly beat it in a bowl.)
- Add the milk to the flax egg mixture (normal egg) and whisk lightly. Tip in the flour and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Heat a heavy-based pan, ideally with a lid. Heat half the oil, and spread around the pan so that it covers the base evenly.
- Spoon in heaped tablespoons of mixture to make individual pancakes. (A large pan will fit in 5 or 6 at a time, but you may have to do more batches if your pan is smaller). Cover with a lid or foil, and leave for 3 minutes, until the tops of the pancakes are set and puffed up.
- Turn over and cook for a further minute on the other side. Serve with topping of your choice.
Would you prefer to make a colourful and fruity alternative to this pancake recipe?
Then check out the fun Pink Berry Pancake Recipe by Pure Family Food as well.
Looking for even more Pancake Day ideas?
Decorate your pancakes! Try our healthy and fun Animal Pancakes to spark the children’s imaginations.
Don’t forget to take a look at our exciting range of Early Years Pancake Day Activity Ideas – including fun Pancake Day games, crafts, role play, music and much more. Make your Pancake Day even more ‘flipping-fantastic’!
Pure Family Food – is a free recipe resource for anyone with food allergies or restrictive diets. It also focuses on ingredients that provide maximum nutrition with minimal fuss. It was created by Katie Baverstock-Hunt, a working mum and keen cook for a family with multiple food allergies. Katie found that she needed to devise meals were quick, easy and didn’t involve trips to specialist food shops. She aims for the recipes to be economical, and for the ingredients easily found in most supermarkets.