Create a Snowflake Game this winter If the weather outside is frightful, why not create your own winter activity inside with this wonderfully fun DIY…
Symmetry Snowflakes – Winter Crafts
These Symmetrical Snowflakes are a brr-illiant arts and crafts activity for this winter. Get as creative as you like! Hang these snowflakes from any window to make the ultimate winter window display. Suitable for ages 0 to 5 years old. Read the simple instructions below to get started:
Art materials you will need:
- White/cream card
- Gold cord
- Hole punch
- Decorations (e.g. sequins, plastic jewels, stickers, scraps of textured card, foam shapes etc.)
Instructions for your Snowflakes:
- Before making your snowflake, discuss the topic of symmetry with the child. Keep it simple by focusing on “reflection” (or “mirror”) symmetry. This is where an object has a central dividing line and one half is the mirror image of the other half. Look at images of snowflakes – did you know they all have 6 points/ arms?
- Take a sheet of white/cream card and a pair of scissors. Cut out three strips of card, each measuring 18cm x 2.5cm.
- Glue the strips, one on top of the other, to make a symmetrical snowflake.
- Punch a hole in the top of the snowflake. Thread a length of gold cord through the hole. Knot the cord ends together to create a hanging loop for your snowflake.
- Decorate your snowflake using a variety of sparkly materials (e.g. sequins, plastic jewels, stickers, scraps of textured card, foam shapes). Your snowflake is now ready to hang up on display.
Did you know? Snowflakes always have 6 sides as the molecules that make up a snowflake are all hexagon-shaped!
This great project has been designed by Claire Drescher and supplied by Creative Steps. Each issue of Creative Steps Magazine contains dozens of inspiring ideas and fun crafts to help you encourage learning through creative play. Ideal for everyone caring for young children. Get an exclusive 20% discount on an annual subscription with Creative Steps by using promo code EYRCRE20 at: www.creativesteps.co.uk.