How To Make Leaf Prints What better way to celebrate the colourful Autumn season than with some colourful leaf crafts! This simple, yet fun, idea…
Hedgehog Straw Paintings – Autumn Crafts
These Hedgehog Straw Paintings are a great arts and crafts activity for the kids this autumn, using splattered paints to make the prickly hedgehogs! Read the simple instructions below to get started:
Art materials you will need:
- Thick white paper
- Coloured paper for backgrounds
- A paintbrush
- Paint mixing tray
- A drinking straw
- Glitter card
- A black felt pen
Instructions for your Hedgehog Straw Paintings:
- Mix some poster paints in a tray for the hedgehog’s bodies. Mix the paint with water so the consistency is fairly runny.
- Use a brush to blob a small amount of paint onto a piece of white paper. Blow the paint with a straw to make a prickly pattern. Turn the paper round to blow the paint in a different direction.
- Make more paint patterns in the same way until you have several hedgehog shapes. Leave the paint to dry thoroughly.
- Cut around the paint patterns leaving a thin white border around the edges, trimming off any unwanted areas.
- Cut out some curved pieces from coloured paper for the hedgehogs’ heads. Glue the bodies onto the heads.
- Glue cut out noses and eyes onto the hedgehogs. Fill in the middles of the eyes with a black pen.
- Glue the hedgehogs onto a dark background with glittery stars and a moon to make a night-time scene.
Hints and Tips: Use smaller amounts of paint for making baby hedgehog shapes, or try combining several colours together for multi-coloured the prickles
This great project has been designed by Charlotte Stowell and supplied by Creative Steps. Each issue of Creative Steps Magazine contains dozens of inspiring ideas and fun crafts to help you encourage learning through creative play. Ideal for everyone caring for young children. Get an exclusive 33% discount on an annual subscription with Creative Steps by using promo code EYRXT33 at: https://creativesteps.imbmsubscriptions.com/eyrxt33/.