Make this festive Christmas Tree made out of paper tubes with the children and encourage some Christmas Creativity! Read the simple instructions below to get…
Gingerbread Heart Christmas Cookies Recipe
It’s time for some yummy Christmas baking! These gingerbread heart cookies are perfect for sharing the love this Christmas. It’s an ideal festive baking activity for children aged 5-7 years old.
Ingredients you will need:
- 350g plain flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g butter
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 egg
- Heart shaped cookie cutter
- Begin by washing your hands and putting on your festive apron.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. (Reduce heat to 160°C for fan assisted ovens.)
- Line two baking trays with grease-proof paper.
- Put the flour, ground ginger, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips.
- Add the sugar, golden syrup and egg to the bowl. Mix the ingredients together to form a dough. Knead the dough until smooth. Wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- When ready, place the chilled dough on a floured board. Roll it out to 5mm thickness.
- Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out your biscuits. Place the biscuits on the lined baking trays leaving sufficient gaps between them.
- Bake the biscuits in the oven for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- You could add further decoration with writing icing if desired!
This great project has been designed by Charlotte Stowell and supplied by Creative Steps. Each issue of Creative Steps Magazine contains dozens of inspiring ideas and fun crafts to help you encourage learning through creative play. Ideal for everyone caring for young children. Get an exclusive 20% discount on an annual subscription with Creative Steps by using promo code EYRCRE20 at: www.creativesteps.co.uk.