It's time for some yummy Christmas baking! These gingerbread heart cookies are perfect for sharing the love this Christmas and is an ideal festive baking…
Christmas Candy Gifts Recipe
Making sweets for children to give as Christmas gifts is a great idea! So why not try to make some yummy chocolate fudge, peppermint creams and snowball crispies with these easy-to-follow recipes. These two sweet treats can be made in bulk and then put into small bags tied with ribbon.
How To Make Chocolate Fudge
- 300g caster sugar
- 160ml evaporated milk
- 200g marshmallows
- 55g butter
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 500g milk chocolate, chopped
- 250g plain chocolate, chopped
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- Before you begin, make sure all hands are clean and clothes are protected.
- Then line either a 20cm square tin or a 17cm x 31cm brownie tray with aluminium foil and set aside.
- Put the sugar, butter, salt, evaporated milk and marshmallows into a large saucepan and over a medium heat, mix them altogether. Bring to a full boil, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the copped/broken chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour into the prepared tin and chill in the fridge for 2 hours, or until firm.
DON’T WORRY! If your mixture separates when you add the chocolate – don’t worry – our first batch did! We just popped it into the tray and blotted the vegetable fat with pieces of kitchen paper. When the fudge had hardened and was cut up, it was perfect and tasted delicious!
How To Make Peppermint Creams
- 450g icing sugar
- 120-135ml condensed milk
- Peppermint extract
- Green food colouring
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and add the condensed milk. Stir until the mixture is crumbly and then add a few drops of peppermint extract and green food colouring.
- Lightly dust your work surface with icing sugar and roll out your paste. Using little cookie cutters, cut shapes approx. 5mm thick and leave to dry on paper parchment
How To Make Snowball Crispies
- 75g puffed rice cereal
- 100g pink & white marshmallows
- 25g butter
- Desiccated coconut
- Snip the marshmallows into small pieces and add them to a saucepan along with the butter. Melt them together over a low heat.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the puffed rice cereal. Stir everything together until it is well mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into a lined baking tin – it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t reach the edges. Pop it in the fridge to cool and stick together for about half an hour.
- Pour some desiccated coconut onto a plate and get the children to roll a little of the puffed rice mixture in their hands to make a ball. Then roll the ball into the coconut to cover.
This great project has been supplied by Creative Steps – fun ideas for everyone caring for young children. Each issue of Creative Steps Magazine contains dozens of inspiring ideas and crafts to help you encourage learning through creative play.