Create a Rocking Diya for Diwali Celebrate the Hindu festival of Diwali (Festival of Lights) this year with this fun Rocking Diya crafts project for…
How To Make Diwali Lanterns – Crafts
Create your own Diwali lantern this festive season!
Brighten up your classroom or home with this Diwali Lantern, the perfect arts and craft for the festival of lights.
Art materials you will need:
- A 2 Litre plastic bottle
- cardboard bowels
- PVA glue
- glue brush
- tissue paper
- sequins and gems
- LED tea light
How to make a lantern:
- Carefully cut away an 8cm section from the middle of a 2 litre plastic bottle, leaving the top and bottom pieces aside to make the lantern. Ask an adult to help cut the bottle.
- Cut an arch-shaped hole near the bottom of the lower section. Check the hole is big enough for the tea light to fit inside.
- For the base of the lantern, glue a cardboard bowl to the underside of the bottle.
- For the top of the lantern, glue around the edges of the bottle sections and stick a cardboard bowl in-between. Keep the lantern upright whilst the glue dries. (Masking tape can also be used, as an alternative for the glue).
- Next, brush PVA glue over the bottom section of the bottle, leaving some small areas without any glue for the windows. Press coloured tissue paper of your choice over the PVA glue, adding a little extra to secure in place and smooth down.
- Do this with the top and bottom half of the bottle, as well as the cardboard bowls.
- Leave to dry.
- Glue on sequins, gems and ribbon as decoration.
- Finally, ad the tea light inside.
- To hang the lantern up, securely tie a long piece of string or ribbon around the top section and then knot the ends into a loop.
- Use different shapes and sizes of bottles to create an array of lanterns!
This great project has been designed by Charlotte Stowell and supplied by Creative Steps. Each issue of Creative Steps Magazine contains dozens of inspiring ideas and fun crafts to help you encourage learning through creative play. Ideal for everyone caring for young children. Get an exclusive 20% discount on an annual subscription with Creative Steps by using promo code EYRCRE20 at: www.creativesteps.co.uk.