Say hello to our woodland friends this Autumn and make these delightful cards using up your scraps of card and felt along the way! Art…
How To Make Woodland Creatures with Walnuts
Celebrate the onset of Autumn with this fun activity. A leisurely walk with children always offers great opportunities to create and take inspiration from the world around us.
You will need:
How to make the mice:
- Take a small amount of white modelling clay and roll into 2 balls for ears, squeeze them into a point and flatten. Stick the ears to the walnut shell.
- To make the nose, roll a small ball of clay and stick to the point of the shell.
- For the tail, put a medium sized ball of clay into the garlic press and squeeze. Pull away one of the clay ‘tails’ and attach to the underside of the shell.
- Leave the mouse to dry.
- Finally paint the inside of the ears and nose with some pale pink paint and using black paint, make tiny dots for eyes.
How to make the owls:
- Take a small amount of white modelling clay and roll into 2 balls for the eyes, flatten them and stick them to the top of the shell.
- To make the ears, roll 2 more small balls of clay and pinch them at the top. Stick them to the top of the shell.
- For the beak make a small triangle and position onto the ‘face’ of the owl.
- Then, make some wings and press them to the underside of the shell.
- Leave to dry.
- Next, paint the ears pink, the beak yellow and the tummy orange.
- Finally, paint the centres of the eyes with black paint.
How to make the mushrooms:
- To start, tear a piece of clay and press it inside of the walnut shell.
- Next, roll a cylinder of clay into a stalk shape, flatten both ends and push the stalk into the clay inside the shell.
- Use the cocktail stick to add texture to the clay ‘stalk’.
- Leave to dry.
- Finally add some red paint spots to the shell or use some small dots of white clay.
Get creative with different shells and textures to creature various woodland creatures.
This great project has been designed by Emma Angel and supplied by Creative Steps. Each issue of Creative Steps Magazine contains dozens of inspiring ideas and fun crafts to help you encourage learning through creative play. Ideal for everyone caring for young children. Get an exclusive 33% discount on an annual subscription with Creative Steps by using promo code EYRXT33 at: https://creativesteps.imbmsubscriptions.com/eyrxt33/.