How To Make a Paper Plate Pirate Ahoy there! Let your little creative swashbucklers create their very own DIY Paper Plate Pirate with these easy…
DIY Pirate Costume – Crafts
How To Make A Pirate Costume
Ahoy, me hearties! Transform your little ones into bootlegged pirates with this hornswaggling DIY Pirate Costume crafts activity. Head on a swashbuckling pirates role play adventure and brush up on your pirates lingo for International Talk Like a Pirate Day! This fantastic pirate crafts idea is ideal for children aged 5-7 years old to spark their creativity and enjoy some imaginative play dress up. Time to walk the plank … Savvy?
Materials you will need:
- Card (black, red, white)
- White PVA Glue
- White / Light Coloured Pencil
- Black Pen
- Red, Bronze & Gold Spotty Paper
- Tape Measure
- 3D Sticky Mount Pads
- Sticky Tape
- Gold Elastic Cord
- Cardboard Tubes x 2 (one should fit snugly inside the other)
- Bronze Paper
- Holographic Card
- Corrugated Card (red, gold)
To make the Pirate Hat, follow these simple instructions:
- Measure the child’s head circumference. Add 4cm to this figure and note it down.
- Take a large sheet of black card. Cut out a 5cm (2”) wide band of card (it should be as long as the previous measurement).
- Place the band of card around the child’s head and adjust for size. Remove the headband and staple to hold the shape.
- Take a sheet of black card and a white pencil. Sketch out the shape of the pirate hat. For the curved section you could draw around a small plate. Cut out the shape.
- Staple the pirate hat to the headband made earlier.
- Now, cut out a long thin strip of white card. Glue it along the bottom edge of the pirate hat. Cut out small squares of red card then stick them onto the white stripe.
- Trace the skull and crossbones image provided below onto a piece of white card and neatly cut it out.
- Go over the pencil lines with black pen.
- Cut out a headscarf in red and gold spotty paper and and eye patch in bronze paper for your skull. Glue everything in place.
- Mount the completed skull and crossbones onto the pirate hat with 3D sticky pads.
To make the Pirate Eye Patch, follow these simple instructions:
- Cut an eye patch shape out of black card.
- Use scissors to make a small slit in the top of the eye patch.
- Dab a little glue along the cut then overlap the edges and hold firmly until stuck. The eye patch will now be slightly convex.
- Cut a long length of gold elastic cord.
- To finish, tape (or glue) the cord to the back of the eye patch.
To make the Pirate Telescope, follow these simple instructions:
- Decorate the narrowest cardboard tube by covering with a sheet of black card. Staple it in position. Trim off any overhanging card with scissors.
- Next, cover the second tube with red card and secure in the same way.
- Fit the smallest tube inside the larger tube.
- Take a selection of card (holographic, corrugated and patterned) and cut it into thin strips. Use the strips to decorate the ends of the tubes.
- Cut out several triangles of corrugated card. Glue them around the top of the telescope to complete.
All hands hoay!