Lai See envelopes (Red Envelopes) are traditionally given to children at Chinese New Year. These lucky red envelopes usually contain money or sweets given by…
Dragon Puppet – Chinese New Year Crafts
Celebrate Chinese New Year with this easy to make Dragon Puppet craft idea for children.
To create this wonderful Dragon Puppet for Chinese New Year you will need:
- Paper plate
- Egg box
- Gold paper
- White & yellow card or fun foam
- Red & black paint
- Scissors and ruler
- Glue and/or tape
How to make a dragon puppet:
- Cut out a double section from an egg box and paint it red. Leave to dry.
- Fold a paper plate in half, paint it red on both sides and leave to dry.
- Cut out two teeth from white card or foam, leaving a short length to be glued to the inside of the dragon’s mouth, and a long forked tongue from yellow card or foam.
- Cut about 8 to 10 strips of gold paper, 15cm long, to create the hair for your dragon.
- When the paint has dried, glue or tape the eyes to the top of the plate above the fold and add the teeth, tongue and hair. Paint the eyes black.
This great project has been supplied by Creative Steps magazine – fun ideas for everyone caring for young children. Each issue of Creative Steps contains dozens of fun, inspiring ideas to help you encourage learning through creative play.